The Arab Countries Water Utilities Associations (ACWUA) located in Amman, Jordan was contracted by the Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI) located in Lebanon to deliver Water Certification and Training Program through the Lebanon Water Project (LWP) which is a five-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- “Water Distribution Operator - Level 1” from AUGUST 23, 2016 – SEPTEMBER 2, 2016 for 15 participants from South Lebanon Water Establishment as part of the Occupational License Program accredited by the Center of Accreditation and Quality Assurance (CAQA) / Ministry of Labor in Jordan. The training course took place in the Chamber of Commerce, Saida, Lebanon
- “Water Treatment Operator - Level 1” certification course was conducted for 15 participants from South Lebanon Water Establishment in order to enable them to take an operational role in their utilities.
The provision of WOCTP under LWP will provide training aiming to:
- Ensure compliance with water and effluent quality standards.
- Improve the operation and maintenance of water/wastewater facilities.
- Reduce unplanned shutdowns.
- Reduce maintenance costs.
- Prepare utility operators and managers of water/wastewater treatment plants and networks to earn certification and operate more effectively, while protecting the environment and infrastructure investment.
- Enhance O&M performance in water and wastewater plants and networks.
Assisting the Lebanese government to establish a mandatory Water Operators Certification and Training Program (WOCTP) in Lebanon, the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA) is included in the Task Order of the USAID-funded LWP. This training program targets: North Lebanon Water Establishment (NLWE), Bekaa Water Establishment (BWE), Beirut and Mount Lebanon Water Establishment (BMLWE), South Lebanon Water Establishment (SLWE) and Litani River Authority, and it will be based on LWP training needs assessments and plans.