This training, which is based on the Guidelines for Water Loss Reduction (free download on www.waterlossreduction.com), will take place from 10th -13th October 2016. For a minimum of 15 participants, this 4-day training by international trainers will cost 1.200 EUR (exclusive of VAT) per participant, excluding board and lodging. The training will be conducted in English and is primarily geared towards leading / executive staff of water utilities (in developing countries) whose field of work is related to water loss reduction, e.g. from the following departments:
- Operations / water distribution
- Engineering / planning / hydraulic modeling
- Leakage managers / water loss interventions
The training program consists of four modules that are offered as a 4-day in-house training. It features not only theoretical lectures but is focused around practical exercises. Thus, participants elaborate solutions in teams and share their results in discussions with other participants. This allows for an extensive exchange between participants and qualified experiences with the methods and tools applied.
Module 1 – Understanding water losses: this module imparts basic knowledge concerning water loss management, the different types of water losses, their causes and impacts, how to calculate a water balance according to the IWA standard, how to calculate performance indicators as basis for the development of a technical strategy for water loss reduction.
- Introduction to Water Loss Reduction
- Calculating a water balance
- Performance Indicators
Module 2 – Information systems and hydraulic modelling for water loss management: this module deals with the data prerequisites for water loss management and introduces the principal information systems available to aid in data management. The design of district metered areas using hydraulic modelling is explained.
- Information systems for water loss reduction
- Designing district metered areas (DMAs) using hydraulic modelling
Module 3 – Methods and instruments for water loss reduction: this module imparts the basic knowledge about the four principal intervention methods applied to reduce water losses with a focus on infrastructure management (operation and maintenance, avoidance/prevention and repair).
- Methods and instruments for water loss reduction
- Introduction to leak detection
- Organisation and documentation in leakage repair
- Introduction to pressure management
- Infrastructure and asset management
- Visit the VAG visitor center
Module 4 – Integrated water utility approach and way forward: this module introduces an integrated perspective to water utilities and enables the participants to conduct first steps towards the development of an action plan for water loss reduction.
- An integrated perspective to water utilities
- Development of an action plan for water loss reduction
If you are interested, please register for the training via our project website
(http://www.waterlossreduction.com) before September 8th, 2016.